Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

What Day is It?

Thump.  Something soft landed on me.  I tried to open my eyes and failed.

"Here," my friend whispered.  

"What is it?" I asked, still fighting the battle of waking up properly.  

"It's a blanket."  

I pried open my eyes to look at my friend in the dark.  I already had a blanket.  Why was she giving me another one?  Isn't she sick?  Did she just give me one of her blankets?  What time is it?

I lasted about fifteen seconds before my head dropped to my pillow and consciousness slipped away.  

"Hey," my friend whispered.  "How do you feel?"

I pulled my head up in an attempt to wake up.  I did a quick mental check of my body conditions.  Tired - that was the only feeling I could gather from my disjointed thoughts.  

Can you watch my baby while I wash my hands?"  I sat up groggily and put my hands out to receive a baby.

"Did you just change his diaper?" My mind was grasping at straws.  I looked at the clock: 6:00 am.  

"Yeah," my friend said.  "My mom is sick.  I'm sick.  I can't take care of the baby too so I'm taking him to daycare.  Are you sure you're not sick?"  

"Not sick.  Do you want me to change his clothes?" I asked, still woodenly holding the seven month old in my arms. 

"I already did," my friend responded.  

I looked down at the baby.  Sure enough, the bundle of warmth included a cute fleece vest set.  

No comments:

Post a Comment