Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Growing up is Optional

Dear Man at the side of the road,

With all the construction going on in Charlottesville right now, I've almost ceased to notice it.  The big trucks, the big orange signs and cones, as well as the dozens of people in hard hats working and directing traffic - it's as much a permanent fixture on my route to work as the Pink Cadillac.  

So I didn't think anything of the hole in the middle of the road as the workers helped traffic navigate the single lane around it...at least until I saw you standing there, wide eyed, transfixed on the scene before you, with an expression on your face half-wonder/half-delight.  Suddenly I took notice of that hole and realized how awesomely cool digging holes is/was.  

I remembered that I once spent a whole hour while in college watching the construction workers on my campus dig a huge hole (in which is now housed an entire building entirely underground).  I laughed when I came to myself and, looking around, found a whole group of other students all watching as enthralled as I.  

Thanks for reminding me that it's the little things that make life a wonder.  

Love,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment