Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Idle Thoughts

A few thoughts I had while driving today:

<while listening to Hairspray, the movie soundtrack> The speed of sound?  At atmospheric conditions, that is 343 m/s.  But of course at lower temperatures, that would be much lower.  Next time I fly, I should find out the airplane's external temperature so I can figure out how fast the the airplane would need to travel in those conditions to be traveling at sonic speeds.

<while driving on extremely wet roads> I always assumed that speed limits were something designated by the engineers who designed the roads, accounting for a safety factor.  i.e. a speed limit of 65 mph would actually correlate to safe driving at speeds up to about 90 mph.  However, now that I think about it, I wonder why I ever assumed engineers had any say in this.  Isn't it lawmakers who set speed limits?  Do they understand/know the parameters the roads were designed for?

Nerd much?

Yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment