Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

時差

A person can jump on an airplane (or three) and fly 2000 miles west and two time zones over and the shock that it gives to their system one can explain away as simply: "jet lag".

But somehow, it always feels like more than a two hour difference every time I return back to Utah.
One of my favorite places to visit in Utah

Stepping off the elevator for Deseret Book, I immediately ran into Jake who was in my MTC district.  Somehow it felt like the most normal thing in the world to see him there even though the last time I saw him was 8 years ago.  And now here he was with a wife and two kids and a real job.

Watching over the sign-in book for the wedding reception, I finally just blurted out to the groom's sister, "I don't mean to be rude, but you seem very familiar to me."  She admitted I looked familiar to her too.  It only took a minute before it clicked.  "You were a welfare missionary with me in the MTC.  You didn't like to be called Sister."  And I repeated to her, her entire name.  We laughed and compared notes since the mission.  Again, 8 years since I last saw her.  She now had a husband and 2 kids.  And a brother who just got married to my friend.

Then there was the girl who gave a lesson in church.  She mentioned she spoke Chinese so I went up to her afterwards and asked about where she served her mission.  Taiwan Taipei.  When?  A year after I ended.  But when I told her where I served and what my name was, her eyes got very wide.  "I know you!  I know your name!"  Apparently, there was a family Zhang that I contacted who later joined the church.  And her companion was very excited or grateful or something because of my service.  I wanted to start crying.  I wanted to know who this family was.  7 years.

5 years since I lived in Utah.  A year since I was there last.

I still feel disconnected from reality when I tell people what I've been up to in the interim - "I'm getting a PhD in Aerospace Engineering."

When they ask why it's taking so long, why I haven't graduated, I laugh it off, "Apparently, PhDs take a while."

But it doesn't feel like a while on those trips back -  just a moment.

When there's no other word to describe that difference in time, that loss of minutes, days or even years -

Jet Lag.  

Two best friends forever playing.  Sometimes I still feel only this old. 

1 comment: