Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Justice of the Peace

Dear F4,

It's happened!  I told you that you would fall in love with me and my roommates.  Just like in the drama, the F4, who once were their greatest bullies soon became their biggest allies.

You knew that on certain mornings for the past few months, construction workers have been outside our apartment, making a racket and keeping us from sleep at early hours.

The other day, your smoke detector went off - blaring long and loud for a few minutes.  It wasn't like I wasn't already awake - the construction workers had been hammering for an hour already. 

Just at the alarm finished, outside my window, one of the construction workers stopped and turned to his coworker with an uncertainty in his voice, "What was that?" And I laughed - it was as though you were trying to retaliate.

Thanks for the thought, even if your bark is worse than your bite.

Love,
Me


Dear Law School,

When I walked past the night of graduation and saw everything still set up and in place, especially the X taped on the stage floor - it was really the X that did it for me - I couldn't resist making the careful walk up the ramp.  I walked carefully over to the X (lest I trip of course - this, after all, is what a degree boils down to) and received my imaginary law degree from the imaginary person who hands them out.  I waved out at the sea of black chairs.  I cheered and even thanked the Academy.  And then I turned around and bowed to the bigwigs on the stage.

My friend who was with me started laughing.  "It's not like you haven't graduated before," she reminded me.

"Not from law school I haven't," I responded with a certain amount of newly gained satisfaction.

But really, I kind of wanted to see what it would be like to graduate from UVa.  It sometimes seem as realistic as my high school mascot (unicorn).

Thanks for the stage - it made my little session of 'make believe' feel a little more tangible and a little less fantastic.

Love,
Me

2 comments: