Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Can I Get a Witness?

Today, I went to the Tokyo Tower.

Since the Tokyo Tower was modeled after the Eiffel Tower, my sister was pretty excited to go and see it.

The Tokyo Tower is brilliantly organized so that you are thrown into the midst of tourist attractions as much as possible, which basically means walking a few flights of stairs between elevator rides so that you are subjected to the world of things people want you to buy.

While on one of these flights of stairs, I walked past a couple who was trying to coax their pet into going up another flight of stairs.  I nodded towards the poor furry thing, huddled against the banister,  wearing a pair of sweats cut off to be shorts and a leash.  And then the furry thing turned his face to me and I stopped in absolute shock.  The couple must have caught my look because they immediately blurted out, "Excuse us."

I didn't say a word but turned away incredulously.  Still reeling from shock, I tried to make it into a joke.  "Don't you just hate it when your pet monkey is afraid of heights?"

Turns out my sister didn't realize it was a monkey - she just thought it was a dog.

I almost couldn't believe my eyes except well, it was such a shock, I think his sad, forlorn face is seared into my memory.  

Pet monkeys in the middle of Tokyo?

Since I don't have a second pair of eyes to confirm what I saw, is it possible I'm just crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment