Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

Today, in Japanese class, my teacher told me that her niece had a mutual friend with Shinji Kagawa.

I stared at her in shock.  "You're telling me that your niece is friends with someone who is friends with Shinji Kagawa?"

She nodded.

"So, that means I'm friends with someone who is related to someone who is friends with someone who is friends with Shinji Kagawa."

She nodded again.

I couldn't stop smiling as I did the math.  "I'm four degrees away from the famous soccer player, Shinji Kagawa."

She smiled.

"That means I'm five degrees away from Makoto Hasebe."

She nodded.

"This is the best news I've heard all day," I declared, not quite believing my good luck.  It almost made up for our disappointing loss to Jordan earlier.  My friend's niece is a model and I've seen her picture in magazines so I kind of already felt special.  But this was better than I could have hoped for.
(Man hair is hard to stick figure draw.  My apologies to Messieurs Kagawa and Hasebe) 

I went back to work and declared my wonderful news to my colleague.  He smiled at me.  "You know, I bet from any Wikipedia article, I can get to Adolph Hitler in as many degrees."  H-labs to film to indoctrination to Adolph Hitler.  He smiled at me, "Everything is interconnected."

Spoil sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment