Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Super Junior 101

In honor of starting to like Super Junior a year ago, I decided to post some conversations I shared with my sister about these boys back when we knew, oh, so very little.  (And now we know, oh, so much more but. as exemplified below, we set that bar pretty low).  I thought that since life has been pretty serious lately we're all about due for a good laugh.


On fangirl phrases: 
Sister: What does Oppa mean?
Me: Oppa means older brother but also refers to men that girls want to date
Sister: ohhhhh
Me: It's a cutesy phrase to mean boyfriend
<later in same conversation>
Me: I do hear 'saranghae Oppa'
Sister: Which one is saranghae?
Me: It means 'I love you'.  You hear it a lot in their songs.
Sister: Ohhhhh, I see.  I thought that was a person.

On who is who:
Me: Who is the oldest?
Sister: I dont remember
Me: Is it Leeteuk?
Sister: Maybe.  Hold on, I think Wikipedia orders them from oldest to youngest


Sister: I'm still learning the differences between them.  I can tell they're different now but I still can't remember who is who but its just because their names are so similar!
Me: Let's see if I can name them all: Kangin, Heechul, Siwon, Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, Shindong, Eunhyuk, Hangeng, Kibum, Leeteuk, Yesung
Sister: Close! There's 2 more right?
Me: Donghae.  Who is the last one?  I can't believe I'm forgetting.
Sister: I don't know.  :( 


Descriptions of the boys: 
Donghae: The one with the gray suit in the Super Girl video
Siwon: The Mulan-looking guy
Kyuhyun: (Let's face it.  We ALWAYS knew his name)
Hangeng: Weesnokneak



On speaking Korean: 
Sister: How do you pronounce Kyu Hyun?
Me: Umm...still not sure.  I think I've been saying it wrong.

On learning how to dance hiphop:
Me: This would be really fun to take one long weekend and just practice it.
Sister: Yeah, same.
Me: And it repeats the same dance moves so once you learn the first half you're pretty much good.  How awesome would that dance be once we got it down?
Sister: So awesome except I can't dance at all so it would take a while.
Me: Yeah, so next Christmas when Super Junior is no longer cool. 


On my love of Asia: 
Me: I honestly don't know anyone in my life who likes Asia even partly like I do.
Sister: Me neither, not even Asians.


Asian pop stars v. American pop stars: 
Sister: Let me show you something. 
That's Kyuhyun and his sister.  Tell me who he looks like to you.
Me: Michael Jackson
Sister: ...? I don't see that.  But I DO see Justin Bieber!
Me: Who is Justin Bieber?

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. Yes! I loved this post.
    The one you forgot was Sungmin. Always forgotten (And I had to sit here for 5 minutes before I figured it out).
    And also, I laughed really hard, reading over how I thought "saranghae" was a person hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you would laugh over that one. I hoped you wouldn't be too embarrassed by it either. So that's why I put in the Justin Bieber one. My apologies to Sungmin.

    ReplyDelete