Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Blast From the Past

Today, Lindsey and I went to high school.

When we walked in the doors, a few minutes after the bell for the first class had rung, an administrator sitting near the entrance started to get our attention with a, "You need..." but she trailed off as soon as I looked at her and threw herself back into reading her paper.  The two students who followed only a few seconds later though got barked at to sign in and explain their tardiness.

During second period, when the intercom announced the pledge of allegiance, I clapped my hand over my heart, ready to stand but not remembering if that was proper protocol so instead, I just nudged Lindsey to recite the pledge with me.  It took about 2/3 of the pledge before she realized why I kept nudging her.  And then I think we were laughing about our mistake during the moment of silence (Oops!)

During the passing period, suddenly students swarmed the office where we were poring through old yearbooks, students were now waiting for a talk with the principal.  One by one the principal called them all in.  At one point, he was walking past but slowed as he got to me, perhaps wondering if he had missed someone.  Old habits die hard - I slapped the book I was reading shut and sat up at attention.  That action alone set him at ease.  He waved his hand as though to say, "It's ok, don't mind me," and kept walking.

At one point, a parent came in to the front office and the student assistant there tried to make small talk with the little girl in her arms, "Do you like Justin Bieber? I do too."

I haven't attended high school now for a while.  I mean, I do have a college degree after all.  So, why did I still expect the adults to wonder why I was out of class?  Or for them to look at me and think, "Kids these days just aren't what they used to be"?
Special bonus: While looking through high school yearbooks from the late 80's I am almost pretty sure that the Korean pop band Shinee all attended high school then, looking much the same as they do in the picture above.  They were heavily involved in student government, tennis, French club and, surprisingly enough, basketball.  (Of course, not really, since the oldest member of Shinee is just 21)

3 comments:

  1. Why did you go to High School?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were working on some family history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha Shinee went to high school there. I like that.

    ReplyDelete