Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Adieu...

When I left Germany, bidding surprisingly emotional goodbyes to people that I had only known for a day, one of the more fatherly figures gave me a hug and then looked into my eyes and said, "Alles Gute."  I smiled back and repeated back, "Alles Gute."  Without even using a dictionary, I understood what he meant.  It was as though he was saying, "All is well."  But not quite just that, the hope that all would be well in my future also.  It was significant to me to receive such a comment from this man.  (For those interested, he is also the reason that in the BVB/Schalke 04 rivalry, Schalke 04 has my heart.)  So much expressed in so few words, we were friends, not merely strangers, truly wishing and hoping for bright futures for each other.

This summer is a summer of goodbyes, to friends who are leaving Charlottesville and moving on to different stages of life.  It's hard to find just the words to express all my hopes for them in their futures, all my joy in watching them progress but also my sorrow in bidding them farewell, at least for now. 

"Alles Gute, Alles Gute"

2 comments:

  1. Was this Br. Kleinert or Br. Huebner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Br. Huebner. I will always hold a special place in my heart for Schalke 04 because of him - even when Uchida or Neuer no longer play for them. He's also the reason why I continue to hope for the best in Felix Magath, current coach of Hasebe. It's amazing how much Bundesliga we talked about with my non-German and his non-English.

    Ah, now I miss Germany. And you, of course, always.

    ReplyDelete