Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lab Views

My lab is full of some hilarious characters.  Here is a short sample of life on a daily basis:

Today while I was waiting for my lunch to heat up in the microwave (3 minutes and 30 seconds) I walked into the Conference room to find the three professors in the lab discussing whether their ideal job for the TSA in airports would be sorting trash or patting down people.  They asked my opinion on their way back to work.

But then one of them stopped and told me that he likes to take time every morning and do pull-ups on the wheel track up above in one of the rooms and that he wanted me to know about it in case I ever wanted to do the same thing.  I had no idea what he was talking about so I nodded dubiously, "Are you trying to say I need to work on my muscle toning?" He laughed.

While eating my lunch on my lab computer, I get a knock on my door and three people enter my lab, demanding to see the heated pressure regulators that a lab mate had borrowed months before.  I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and so while I search around, racking my brain for any clue about (1) what such a thing could look like and (2) where I could have possibly put it, the three of them playfully teased me.  "Aha!  She looks so guilty.  She knows exactly where she hid it."  I smiled and invited them in to come see for themselves while I continued to run through my memory.  As they looked over my lab, they paused at the table displaying our various models, "Wow, those all just look like a bunch of UFOs.  Interesting..."
Despite their insinuations, I laughed.  

 And that was just one half hour of my day today.  These are the same guys who wanted to know if our lab could run the mile relay faster than one of our labmates could by himself.  (That would require 30 second 200s from each of us - pretty hard to do)  (Yes, that's right. One of us can run a 4 minute mile.  And that person is NOT me)  Hilarious little tidbits of conversation all day long.

Sometimes, that's all it takes to keep going.
Some Asian popstars <cough, Ashin> wear
masks to be artistic.  Some of us wear them
so we don't inhale massive amounts of chemicals
we aren't supposed to.  
Oh, iodine, how I love you.  And what you do
to my wind tunnel.  

1 comment: