Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Give a Little Love

On the 4th of July, my sister, my mom, my niece and I went on a drive and ended in us wandering through the gift shop of James Monroe's plantation (Ash Lawn-Highland).  Random, right?  As I was looking at the various overpriced items on sale, I couldn't help but think about the much nicer and bigger gift shop over at Monticello (only 2 miles away) and the much nicer and bigger Independence Day celebration happening over at Monticello. It got me thinking about the much nicer and bigger role that TJ played in our Independence and pretty soon, I was feeling pretty sorry about this President that I knew almost nothing about.  In fact, as I confided to my sister,  "I'm not even entirely sure I know which number President he was.  Was he Our fifth?"  (Yes, in fact, he was)
Ashlawn-Highland: Home of James Monroe
So, we splurged a little and decided to go on the tour of his house.  Alexis was tired and in need of a nap so I was pretty much the only one who benefited from the tour (although a definite highlight was when Alexis caught a glimpse of herself in a mirror and started giggling at the cute baby looking back at her)  (Oh!  and we got free cucumbers - never turn down free cucumbers from a presidential garden)
But this is what I found out about James Monroe:

He spoke fluent French and often spoke French in his home.

He was good friends with Napoleon Bonaparte and even received a gift of a large life-size marble bust of Bonaparte from Bonaparte himself.

James Monroe is pictured in the depiction of Washington's Crossing the Delaware by Emanuel Gottlieb Leutze as the one holding the flag.  In real life, he went ahead of Washington to help with surveillance.

James Monroe was once talked out of a duel with Alexander Hamilton by Aaron Burr.

James Monroe gave up his lower farm - Monroe Hill - to the cause of the University of Virginia.

Thomas Jefferson helped James Monroe pick out the land for Ash Lawn- Highland and in fact, even helped build the house (proof is in the nails that came from Monticello)

While President, Congress gave him a sum of money to furnish the newly built White House.  That was all Congress gave him his entire time in office.  So, essentially, James Monroe paid for all of his Presidential expenses out of pocket.

The Monroe Doctrine that Monroe established in front of Congress has served as one of the most fundamental speeches outlining American Public Policy until well into the 20th Century.

And suddenly, I'm wondering: WHY HAVEN'T WE MADE A BIG DEAL ABOUT THIS GUY?!

Seriously.  He was friends with Napoleon Bonaparte?  A guy who gave his daughter the entire country of Holland for a wedding gift?  And somehow this man who is well known for his ego found cause to befriend James Monroe?

James Monroe was talked out of a duel by the very man who would later kill the man he was supposed to duel?  Really?!  How did we not notice the irony of such a fabulous moment in history?

Thomas Jefferson saw it fit to take James Monroe as his protege.  And I mean, I really think he took charge of his life.  James Monroe didn't faithfully live at Ash Lawn-Highland for the time he owned the plantation so I take this (probably incorrect assumption but let's go with it) as Jefferson deciding for Monroe, "You know what?  You need a house near me.  There's a great spot of land only 2 miles away.  In fact, all you have to do is sign here.  Oh, and I'm sending over my carpenters today to start building the house."  Thomas Jefferson - one of our most famous founding fathers, the guy who wrote the Declaration of Independence.

I'm starting to think if some of the crucial men of the day took avid notice of this president that there's definitely more to this man than my history books ever led me to believe.

So, here's a shout out to our Fifth President of the United States, James Monroe.

1 comment:

  1. I feel so much smarter for this. You should do weekly presidential updates. And then when you're done with that, teach us about presidents of other countries. Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete