Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Conversations

Yesterday, I had the chance to sit down with a very nice lady at church and talk with her.  Here are some excerpts from our conversation:

Sister: My husband and I both like American music a lot.
Me: Really?  Who is your favorite artist?
Sister: <pointing to her husband> He really liked Led Zeppelin.
Me: <nod>
Sister: Me?  I really like Marilyn Manson.
Me: !!!! Wait, what?!  Did you just say you liked Marilyn Manson?
Sister: <bows her head in shame> Yes.  I'm a bad person. 
Me: <still in shock> Marilyn Manson?
Sister: <nodding> Yes.
(This sister is one of the cutest things.  It was really out of left field.  I did not see that one coming at all)

Sister: What American music do you like?
Me: I like all kinds of music. 
Sister: <nods>
Me: But I actually listen to a lot of Chinese music.
Sister: Do you know F4?
Me: YES!
Sister: My sister really likes them so I went to their concert in Hong Kong.  She begged me, "Sister, they have a concert in Hong Kong and I really really want to go.  Will you go with me?"  So I went and we cheered our hearts out for Ken and Jerry, Vanness. 
Me: Hahaha.  That is awesome.  Did you have lights and signs?
Sister: Yes. 
Me: Hahahaha.  That is so awesome. 
(For reference, this woman attended this concert with her sister when she was in her 40s and F4 is one of those bands created specifically for their pretty factor)
Me: Who is your favorite?
Sister: Ken.

Sister: So you like Chinese music?
Me: Yes, my favorite artist right now is Wei Li An (William Wei).  He studied foreign languages at Taiwan's National University but then decided to do music.  He's pretty amazing.
Sister: Wow.
Me: I also like Yan-jue.  He studied Jazz in America so his music has a lot of jazz influence.
Sister: What other types of music do you like?
Me: I also like Korean music.  [Since we're full disclosure] Super Junior.  CNBlue.
Sister: Haha.  You like so much Asian music.
Me: Yes, I do.
Sister: I think you must have an Asian heart.


Today, at lunch, Fujita-san and I did a little bit of catching up.  
Me: Did you like Tokyo?
Fujita-san: Yes.  I was happy every day. 

Me: After you get your PhD, what do you want to do?
Fujita-san: I'd like to work with JAXA.  That is, if they'll have me.  I don't know if they will.  But yes, JAXA or maybe research at a university or...
Me: <thinking, 'I think that's about it'>
Fujita-san: Yes, those two.  What about you?  What do you want to do?
Me: Well, I want to work in Japan.
Fujita-san: So...JAXA or research at a university?
Me: Yep.
(We both laugh because we're in the same boat)

No comments:

Post a Comment