Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Deja Vu

Running into people you've met before happens all the time but I've been surprised in what ways and who it is I run into at this ICFD.

(1) During Open Campus, I pretty much convinced this kid from Kouchi Sensei's lab to explain his research but also everyone else's in his lab.  He was nice about it and we ended on a friendly note.  Then, I kept seeing him around campus and he and I would smile and greet each other.  On Wednesday, when I sat down in the first break-out session, my neighbor looked over it and it was he.  He started laughing.  I could tell he was thinking, "Here, too?"

(2) Today, between talks, a man came up to me.  "Are you from the University of Virginia?  I met you last year when I visited Dr. Goyne's lab."  I looked at him in shock and then recognition.  "Oh yeah!  I remember you!"  He and I talked a little bit and he told me how surprised he was to see me in Japan.

(3) All week long, I've been seeing this man who looked so familiar that I not only remembered his face but I remembered that the last time I saw him, I thought he reminded me of someone I knew in Virginia.  Except I didn't know that person in Virginia so I could never really place why I knew him.  Anyway, the circular thinking both times for the exact same situation had me convinced that it was the same person but I couldn't remember for the life of me where I had seen him before.  Apparently, my brain works when I don't because my first thought this morning when I woke up was, "I know who he is!"  The more I thought about it, the more I was convinced.  This was the man I had followed to the baseball stadium a month ago to attend the Rakuten Eagles game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment