Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Human Condition

Yesterday, I spent large amounts of time in the hospital.  Whether it was in Radiology or the Emergency Department or even up in one of the rooms, the theme of the entire day was sitting and waiting.  And since I finished the book I brought about one hour into the day, I had the opportunity to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes: people watching.

And this is what I encountered:

(1) Strength in the face of tragedy: A family who was near me in the emergency room all counseled together and decided to send the mother home to shower and eat something and take a nap while her daughter took over the watch in the hospital.  I didn't realize how serious the situation was until I heard this daughter calling up her daughter and tell her that "Grandpa's lungs have blood and pus in them.  There's nothing that can be done about that so if you would like to come to see your grandpa while he is alive, now is the time to do so."  And then, while I stared in absolute shock, the woman continued to relate to her daughters details about the events that had transpired since the early hours of her terrifying day.  And she even managed to concern herself with her daughter's care in the details of travel and accommodation.  How could she manage so calmly I marveled?  And then after the cheerful phone call, I saw this woman's eyes start to mist a little as her heart caught up with the knowledge that her father was not going to be with her much longer.  This woman has some long days and nights ahead of her, no matter how much longer her father fights to stay alive.  I am in awe of her strength.

(2) Camaraderie in spite of unfamiliarity: Put a group of strangers together in unexpected and even hard circumstances and they will draw close together.  When one individual proved to be absent when called over concerning their loved one, I was impressed that multiple people spoke up to state the individual's whereabouts.  Somehow everyone had been taking quiet notes about each other and we all were cheered by anyone's good news: when one woman's father came out of surgery okay, I felt my own heart lifted.  And then when we all had to move to another waiting room, we all squished (literally) onto the elevator and laughed at the silliness of our situation before moving into a smaller space together.  Laughter - despite the fact that each of us inwardly was worrying and worrying about the surgeries our loved ones were undergoing.  It was not strange to laugh with strangers but it struck me that it possibly should have felt strange.

(3) Kindness in spite of pressure: Even though hospitals are stressful places, I was impressed by how often people would stop in their busy lives to remember those who very much needed a friend.  The doctors and nurses and attendants were all very nice about letting me stay with my friend until the very last moment and to let me come see her as soon as it was safe to let people near her.  And then there's the poor receptionist in the waiting room who always leaves late because she keeps hoping that our families will be out of surgery before she has to leave.

(3) A realization that life is not about work, not about money or even about all of the many activities we fill our lives up with.  The hospital was filled with people all waiting, waiting, waiting.  And why?  Because their own loved ones were sick or injured.  And despite the fact that on any other normal day, those loved ones might feel the need to compete for our time and sadly, sometimes even, our hearts, on a day like this, it was enough simply to sit nearby just in case they might want us near.

Thank you roommate for giving me the chance to pause.  It's been a stressful few days but I am glad you are okay.  And thank you world for letting me see once again that despite everything, being alive and being human is a marvelous thing.  We are kind yet.  We are good yet.  And we will love yet.

Love,
Me

2 comments:

  1. I hope your roommate gets better soon. I know she appreciated you being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i appreciated you being there too. i love you erin. thank you for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete