Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

My Life in Music

Let's face it; I love music.  In lots of different forms and in lots of different languages.  Here is a glimpse of my life through my most recent most played 'playlist'.

Exercising:
These are the only two songs I can keep in my head while running.  I don't know why but at least I never tire of them.
Beautiful by B2ST - Great steady beat and nothing is better than running to the words of "YOU are beautiful, YOU so beautiful, YOU my beautiful, Nothing better than YOU are beautiful, YOU so beautiful, YOU my beautiful."  And the misheard lyric of "I'm a good Mormon guy" cracks me up every time.
【謝謝你的美好】Thanks for Your Greatness by Yen-j - I don't know why this song always runs through my head - I call it the ultimate break-up song and the rap makes me laugh A LOT.  "Girl, please don't cry like this is a surprise, Crying will only make it more difficult, My love hasn't changed but the timing is all off, Girl you know that right?" But for some reason it keeps me in step and smiling while my feet plod along on the pavement.


Research (in the lab): 
Let's just say with the frustrations of realizing that I have a LOT to get accomplished while running out of time/patience, it's no wonder these are the songs that have resonated with me.
Can You Hear Me by Evan Yo - "Can You Hear Me, Did You Hear It?  Don't wanna hang like this. Please set me free."  For some reason those are some great words to describe my plea with my life.
Change by Monkey Majik - This song is mostly in English so no need to explain it.  One listen through and you'll know that again, life as a researcher lately seems to be one mass of frustration.  But it's nice to listen to these songs to release that frustration.

On the computer: 
Glee's version of Train's Hey Soul Sister Sister - You were just waiting for an English song sung by an English speaking group weren't you?  I promise I haven't forgotten my American roots.  
Dog Days are Over by Florence + The Machine -  I don't entirely get the meaning of this song but I love it anyways.  (I guess that's kind of ironic since the rest of my songs are in other languages right?) 
So Close by Jon McLaughlin - This song is the best song to do anything with.  While watching soccer highlights with the sound turned off, suddenly the whole soccer world is magical and I'm practically fighting back tears when Hasebe makes that perfect goal in the Syria game and then rejoices with the whole team.  

While thinking: 
 終わりなき旅 Endless Journey by Mr. Children - This is Hasebe's favorite song that he always plays before he heads into the stadium for a game.  The beat is not upbeat but the words are amazing: "Don't be someone's shadow or try to be imitate; being yourself is enough."  as well as a message about always looking forward to the great things in store for you.  I think Hase and I could be great friends.
明天晴天 Sunny Day Tomorrow by Stefanie Sun - "You can't hurry eternity.  At the beginning who can comprehend that there will be fierce winds and heavy rain?  Instead believe that tomorrow will be sunny." 
你看不到的天空 The Heaven You Can't See by Evan Yo - So I thought I understood this song until just now when I went back and realized I might have misunderstood it.  So what I THOUGHT it meant was that, "If only you could see the heaven right beside you.  If only you could hear the promises that I've made.  But you don't and as a result, the whole world is lonely." I'm sure the real message of the song is just as nice.  


With Alexis, my adorable niece:
There's only one song that has ever come to mind when she's in my arms.  So, dear one, this is for you.
Baby by Justin Bieber:  :) 

2 comments:

  1. I love the Glee version of Soul Sister too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the video of So Close. I can relate to "I'm afraid if I want something too much, I'll never have it." or whatever that said. Also, can't help sing, "baby, baby, baby, ohh" when I'm dancing around with Alexis.

    ReplyDelete