Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

James and Edgar

Today for English class, I started searching through American literature for Halloween appropriate literature.  While searching, I was reminded how beautiful and eloquent the English language is.

While the time before class' beginning ticked down, I sat on my bed, with books of poetry all around me, as though I was suddenly meeting old friends once again.

Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, T.S. Eliot, James Whitcomb Riley,  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Edgar Allen Poe, Carl Sandburg, Langston Hughes, Edna St. Vincent Millay, etc.

There we were, gathered all together, in one happy little conglomeration of thoughts and opinions and ideas.

It was long overdue.  Sometimes, I get so caught up in expanding my knowledge of other languages that I forget the simple joy in understanding, loving and basking in your native tongue.

It's nice to come home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment