Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gilded Toes

I had already gotten my shoes and dress to be bridesmaid when my friend, the bride, told me that she was changing our shoes to sandals.  Guiltily I looked at my feet, worn from walking all over the place, "That means I have to get a pedicure."

A week later, I found myself in a salon with all the other bridesmaids and the bride getting our feet pampered and our toes painted an identical silvery gold.

All night long, I looked down at my toes.  I felt a little like Kate from Sorcery and Cecilia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot who painted her toenails gold and went to a ball in 1817 London,  She was a little giddy at the prospect of it and a little in awe of her boldness.  I felt the same way - and half expected that something magical  - or at least noteworthy - should happen because of it.  

Something magical did happen - my friend got married.  She was a beautiful bride and her wedding and ring ceremony and reception were all wonderful events.  

Here are some funny situations I got myself in though: 

In the temple, my friend and her fiancee and I got on the elevator.  A nice lady already on the elevator oohed and aahed over the prospect of my friends' upcoming nuptials.  The bride and groom got off on a different floor to get ready for the ceremony and I stayed on to go up to the waiting room.  As soon as they got off, the lady looked at me.  "So, you must be ..." She paused and looked me over.  "The mother of the groom?"  I looked at her in shock.  Did I really look old enough to have a 27 year old son? I must have really overdone my makeup or something.  "Ummm...no."  I managed.  "I'm a friend of the bride."  

(The groom came over to me later and tried to make me feel better.  "Don't worry about that.  When I went into the changing room, one man asked me when I was going on my mission.")  

During the picture taking of the bride and groom, the rest of the guests sat around and chatted politely.  For most of us, this was the first time we had met.  My friend's mission president's wife was just telling everyone her life's story when I noticed to my horror that a bug! was crawling up her skirt, just under the top sheer layer.  Not wanting to interrupt her or scare her, I leaned down and put my hand out, wondering if I should try to dab at her skirt and scare the bug out or what.  People started to notice my weird behavior so I spoke up.  "Um...Sorry to interrupt but there is a bug crawling up your skirt."  Everyone stopped and stared at me, awkwardly perched with my arms out, kneeling down beside this woman and most people gasped in horror. The woman herself acted like a true lady and reacted calmly, simply pulling up the top layer and letting the bug fly away.  

The real mother of the groom introduced me to some people from her family.  
Mother: This is Erin.  She is the maid of honor.  
Me: Um...No.  I'm not the maid of honor.  
Mother: <looks at me> 
Me: I'm just a maid.  
Mother's friend, laughing: Ah, a maid!  
(I couldn't think of the word for bridesmaid)
Turns out my feet are tiny compared to Yao Ming's feet

1 comment: